Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sleep... It's a hott mess...

The boys have always been very good sleepers, I cannot remember a time that they wouldn't just lay down & sleep. We have never had to "Cry it out" or anything like that. And they LOVE to sleep, even as wee babes they would sleep many hours, wake-up, eat & straight back to sleep.

Here a while back we allowed the boys to have a T.V. in their room to watch before bed. (I assume problem 1) We only let them watch about 30 minutes during the day but at night before bed they can watch a movie. (And please for the sake of all that is good and wonderful do NOT lecture me on how a T.V. will fry my kids brain! If you know these two you have seen the wild imagination they have, they are not one bit behind.) We also use it for night light purposes- I know that any night light that would be plugged in would be throughly examined & little fingers would probably be black from electrical shock. Most of the time, if he didn't have a 4 hour nap from 5-9PM B would fall asleep rather quickly. J on the other hand does not, he watches the entire movie. (See: PROBLEM) Then he will come in & ask us to change the movie that is over.

We have never been real strict with a bed time routine... EVER! I stay home with them so we would put them to bed whenever we went to bed & they would wake me up in the morning. And it never failed, every single Sunday morning, it's like they know Jake is home & they wake up at 8am just to aggravate him. We do not have a "set" bedtime or a routine really. We put on nighties (read:overnight diaper), brush teeth, take vitamins & allergy medicine, give kisses, start movie & they hop into bed lights out.

As of right now they do not nap, why do they need to when they sleep 10-12 hours a night. I would though like to implement a "rest time" of some sort. Again, with a newborn it is going to be wild crazy. I think it would be good for them to have time to chill & myself as well. And NO they do not have to sleep, but they would need to play quietly in their room and chill out for a while. No longer than 30 minutes if they are not asleep & they would be woke up after an hour & a half. I cannot do the 4 hour naps RIGHT before bed time.


Sure, while it is all unicorns & daisies to sleep in until 11am, but I was up until after 2am trying to get the little monkeys to calm down, lay down & relax. It's like up, down, up, down, door open, slam door, door open, "mommy, I gotta potty," back to bed, door open, light on, tv up, "mommy, I have to poo," back to bed, light on, jumps on bed, light off... It's a never ending vicious cycle for hours. Ending in me having to be a mean Momma & get on to them. Then I was up umpteen MILLION times to pee. The inner insomniac in me has trouble going back to sleep after I up. Also, we really need to be getting to bed earlier, my dear sweet husband has to be up early & going fighting with the boys is normally left up to me for the most part. It does make it really hard for him to get up the next morning at 5:30a to go to work when he doesn't fall asleep until after midnight.

So today we are on "No Nap Status" I am gong to take them to the park and wear their little hineys out. And hopefully implement the following night night schedule. I am also going to implement new "rule/consequences" and "daily schedule."


  1. Start at 9:00p
  2. Brush teeth & take medicines
  3. Use potty & put on "night pants"
  4. Tucked into bed by 9:30p
Simple enough, Right?! We are going to have to quit the movies cold turkey. I think it will mysteriously break tonight-wish me luck. I do need to get a very kid friendly night light that they hopefully will not bother.

I am not one for big change & I am not good about making a schedule & sticking to it. Hopefully this works, we really REALLY need it to. Both boys have been in terrible moods today are absolute bears! J has thrown numerous fits, hitting brother, etc. B has spilled a whole box of spaghetti in the floor, stolen toys, beat his brother with the fly swatter & they have only been up for like an hour.


I never claimed we were normal, sane, or functional. We are what we are... borderline side show. All we need is a talking dog & one 6 legged cat. (**Side Note: I did see the CUTEST 2 legged chihuahua on television last night. My heart almost exploded it was so freaking cute. It just bunny hopped around on it's back feet. Jake could tell I was totally googly over the silly think and make it clear that I was indeed delusional if I ever thought we were getting another animal. HA!)

And they are at it again, fighting over a Happy meal toy. Evidently it is time to load up & head out!!! Hopefully they cheer up, especially Jace, he is his mother all over again, such a morning person. Well, forget I ever said that last little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment