Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A crumb from my childhood

I had the sweetest, white haired Great Grandma. Everyone else in the family called her Grandma Noland but not me, she was my Grandma Lena. She went to be with Jesus when I was in the 9th grade. I have so many memories with her, I miss everything about her. I miss going to her house to raid the orange slices on her counter. I miss every Saturday night sitting playing cards & watching cops. She was very old-fashion, she would scald me for using more than 3 sheets of toilet paper or filling the bathtub too full. The one thing I always looked forward to was her cooking. She was a fabulous cook!!! That woman made me LOVE liver & onions, but only hers. She made a pea salad that I KNOW my mama would sell a kidney for today to have another bowl. She made a wilted lettuce that my cousin could eat her weight in. The one thing I always looked forward to was her sugar cookies, snickerdoodles were a close second.



When Christmas rolls around I long for those sugar cookies. I'm sure the recipe is hundreds of years old and I have never tasted a cookie that compares. Starting this year, I plan to make it our new Christmas tradition of making Grandma's cookies with the boys. I will tell them all about a sweet white headed lady that would be head over heals in love with them. It brings tears to my eyes to see her sweet handwriting on a piece of scratch paper that she gave my mama with the recipe.


Grandma Lena's Sugar Cookies

3 1/4 Cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Powders
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup Oleo
1 Cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 sour cream

Sift together flour, soda & salt.
Mix sugar, oleo, egg & vanilla. Cream & add sour cream.
Add sifted flour gradually. Chill

Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness & cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheet.
Can sprinkle with extra sugar or icing.


Bake at 400 degrees about 12 minutes.



I am so very thankful for every second, minute & hour I spent with her! She was "one of a kind" & irreplaceable. All of my grandparents really truly mean the world to me & I would NOT be who I am today with out them.

All my love,
Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Liver and onions?! You're making me question why we're best friends!

    Speaking of... Jonathan and the kids had that for dinner literally yesterday! Barf!

    Looooooooovvvvveeeeee You! :D

    ReplyDelete