Sunday, May 22, 2011

Whirlwind trip to the Emergency Room

So where to start....

First a small back story on "the cuppy" & why I did what I did. A few weeks ago, like always, I fixed the boys cups & we headed out. When we got home I couldn't find Brily's stupid cup ANYWHERE, I hunted and searched the Suburban high & low... No cuppy anywhere! So I assumed that when I was loading the boys back into the truck it had rolled out & was lost forever in some parking lot. I have since bought new cups, it's been that long.

Yesterday I was cleaning out the truck in preparation of N's arrival & what do I find? Brily's sippy cup, it had rolled under the folded down back seat. It had been in there for over a month with chocolate milk in it. Yep, that is disgusting! I brought it in and washed it out, filled it with soap & bleach, sat it at the back of the counter & planned to stick it in the dishwasher today.


SO.... This is where it gets bad!


We got home from Church & the boys were playing. I walked around the corner to see B drinking from "the cuppy" that was full of bleach! I flipped out, snatched the cup, threw it in the sink & crammed my finger down his throat to try and get him to puke the bleach back up before it absorbed. About that time he began to struggle & got to where he couldn't breath. (More on why in a moment) I then headed out the door & to the E.R. I got outside & realized I didn't have any shoes on, ran back in & then ran to the truck while screaming at Jake to get Jace and follow me to the E.R. because B had just drank bleach.

I flipped on my flashers & drove way over the speed limit to get him to the hospital, he was still gasping & in between gasps was spitting out a frothy like spit-up. I was driving like a mad woman to get him to the E.R. poor baby was so scared he just kept looking at me with the most terrified look. I was trying to stay calm, but was about to break!

When we got to the E.R. they had the Emergency door locked (evidently hospital policy) I began beating on the door, no one was hearing me. That is when I lost it and began to breakdown, just before I turn to go to the main entrance some guy see me & slowly walks over. I was freaking out & the guy was taking his sweet time. He opened the door & I just walked past him telling him what had happened.

By this point B was able to breath a little better, but was still not himself. They got him all hooked up & some fluids to get the taste out of his mouth. The doctor came in & after telling him what happened, he explained that the bleach itself was not enough to hurt him, but the fumes is what causes the airways to close.

So he was going to be okay! WHEW! I think the doctor was more afraid that I was going to have a baby... Brily ate a BIG huge popcicle & was bouncing back to his old self. Jake arrived & brought B some clothes because he only had on a T-shirt & shoes when I swooped him up & left! I tell you they are always naked!

We are all better now & trying to finish getting ready for little miss! That is our Whirlwind trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment